Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tilda quilt

Several months ago I went to a High Tea at a lovely shop in Rosebud, "Sewing and Beyond" where I purchased some fat quarters of Tilda fabrics (hi Julieanne).  I love the colours of raspberry, teal blues, greys and creams and the pretty floral prints with the birds and the matching stripes, spots and ditsy prints.  I have had a new smaller format Sampler quilt in mind for a few years and realised that these fabrics would be perfect.



 I wanted to try some new piecing techniques, plus needle turn and fusible web applique and also include some simple stitcheries. I also had a lot of fun fussy cutting some of the bird motifs. Click on the photos for a closer look.





If I made small blocks it would be a fairly quick project suitable for a Summer School format.  This might suit people on holidays who could spend several days per week over two weeks learning the addictive hobby that we love. Because we have moved back into one shop we can be a lot more flexible with our classes and cater to the customers time frame for attending sessions.






 I am now up to the part that I love the most which is quilting.  I am planning on stitching in the ditch first to stabilise the quilt then I will quilt the blocks by hand, mostly with quilting cotton but some with perle cotton and maybe some tying and embellishing in the crazy patchwork block.




It is 38" square  so should only take me a couple of weeks to quilt and as soon as the binding is on it will be on display in the shop.  I will do another post to show the finished quilt but if you are a local pop in to have a look because I will be working on it here when time permits.






So until next time

Happy Stitching

 from Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment