Wednesday, August 31, 2011

If in doubt, add Purple

Maryanne says "if it's not working just add purple"

I have been trying to reduce my stash for several years and last year I decided to be really ruthless with my purples because Tasha had raided them but there were still a lot that didn't appeal to her.  So I got to with my rotary cutter and cut 2 1/2" strips, joined them end to end on the cross, then cut thirty 60 1/2 strips and sewed them together with no regard for what went with what.  As long as the same prints weren't next to each other it got sewn on. I then sewed three rows across the top and bottom to make it a bit longer. I threw this quilt together in two days and I can't believe how good it looks.  There are some very ugly fabrics in there.

 Then I picked out some of the larger pieces and joined them together for the back.
It was hand quiled 1/4" each side of the seams and the binding was the leftover 2 1/2" strips. It is called Linear I because I am now making a series of these quilts as a way of exploring colour and also light, medium and dark.

Linear II is not quilted yet and is in light and dark blue. Linear III is in brown,beige and grey And Linear IV is in green,yellow and apricot. It is called Citrus and is finished too.  It will also be on display this weekend (3rd and 4th September) with Linear I at Toorak College in Mt. Eliza at Mornington Peninsula Patchworkers Inc exhibition and I will be there with a stall of goodies too so if you are local come and have a look and say "hello".  It is usually a really interesting exhibition.

I am planning on taking some photos so I will post some next week.

Until then

Happy stitching,


Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Toys

We are very excited because we have finally upgraded our computer about a month ago.  The only problem is that I now have to learn how to drive it.  I was in my nice little comfort zone playing  with our old one and it has taken me a few weeks to get going on the new system which is why I haven't done a post for a couple of weeks. Tasha has had a really bad lurgie for about a month and is on her 3rd lot of antibiotics so hopefully this will fix it at last.

I am fairly limited with time at the moment as I have a project to finish for Homespun Magazine by the first week of September. (There are several funny stories about that and I will share them with you soon.) 

 Also my local Quilt Guild is having their Exhibition on 3rd and 4th September so I am sewing bindings, labels and sleeves on the four quilts I am putting in it  and they also have to be done by the same time.  so as you can imagine there is a lot of hand sewing going on.

I have been trying to add more photos and it won't let me so I will try again tomorrow

Happy stitching from Therese and Tasha