Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Spiderweb for Luck

The first time I foundation pieced a spiderweb quilt was about 25 years ago when I was a very new quilter.  I loved the technique but I was not happy with the result so it was never finished and eventually given to someone who loved it anyway and was happy to finish it.

Then early this year I was browsing on the internet and saw a bright version on Bonnie Hunter's blog that I just fell in love with.  She has a fabulous free pattern on her website.


But what started out as a cushion cover to use up some scraps and cut strips  became a King size quilt that kept me busy for about 3 months because I had to add an applique border and of course it then wanted another border of blocks and as you can see from the photos I had to match the colours with the centre.









 This quilt involved lots of graph paper and coloured pencils then writing on the papers to make sure I stitched the right colours on the right end of the triangles. Trust me, this is essential to get the pattern right!!!!!

It was a mental challenge from start to finish and did involve a little bit of reverse sewing but I am delighted with the result and to be truthful I love to be challenged when I am making a quilt. 



So it will be going off to the quilter this week for her to work her magic and I will post more photos when it is finished.

Then it will be given to the special person it was made for. My beautiful daughter Natasha.








                                           So until next time

                                           Happy stitching
                                          
                                           from Therese



No comments:

Post a Comment