Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Classes in 2012

After fifteen years of doing it, I still love teaching. To be able to pass on the knowledge that I have acquired over the past 25 years of sewing patchwork and quilting is a priviledge that I just love.  From beginners to more experienced students it is still exciting for me when they have those "light bulb" moments when they realise that "that's how it's done. Ah ha, now I get it." I still love to try new things myself and this year I have challenged myself to try some things that I had a go at when I was a very new quilter, messed up and so hated them. I will let you know what they are afterwards. I wonder if I will have a different experience this time!!!!!

We have scheduled a monthly class this year that is focused on techniques. We are starting with Crazy Patchwork, Bargello and String Piecing in Term 1. We always encourage students to finish our projects and these will be no different but they will be small things and if the students want to make them bigger they will have the skills to do so at home.




Now that the pattern for Country Album is done, I am busy writing up the class instructions and requirement lists as the classes are nearly full.  I am limiting the number of students in these sessions because I want to make sure that everyone understands the techniques by the end of the day.  They will be fairly intensive learning and I am really looking forward to them.  I will try to be a better blogger this year and take lots of photos during these classes.


We have had so much positive feedback from our free Friendship Medallion pattern that I couldn't help myself.  I did another one.  It is a bit smaller and has different blocks but the same "Rules" apply.  This one is called The Lighthouse Medallion because I believe the block in the middle is called Lighthouse.  Unfortunately I didn't write down where I saw it so I apologise if it is not in the public domain.  I just started playing with my scraps and strips that are already cut a la Bonnie Hunter style and within a week I had a quilt top made.  Bonnie is one of my Quilting Gurus and she is one of the most generous quilters in the world.  If she ever comes to Australia I will be one of the first in line to do a class with her.







This is the centre block for anyone who is interested.  (I am contemplating unpicking the floral strip in the setting triangles or appliqueing something over the top.)
Til next time

Happy stitching  from Therese.



No comments:

Post a Comment