Thursday, October 20, 2011

W.I.S.P.s

On my last big "O" birthday I decided it was time to go through my cupboards and dig out the projects I was going to do "one day' because one day was here.  I gave away any that no longer held and interest for me and the others I put in order of priority.
The first one I finished was At Piece With Time and I am hoping I inspired at least one person to dig their's out to finish too. (How about it Siobhan).

The next one was a Secret Womens Business project from 2003 with my Friendship Group where we all got 2 fat quarters.  One was a large floral and the other was a stripe of the floral and an animal print. The quilt had to have a star in it and we had to use both prints.  I made the star and started on the log cabin blocks to go around the edge but ran out of the floral and the biscuit background so it got flung in a box and put in the cupboard of disillusion.

When I opened the box earlier this year and hung the bits on my design wall to study for a few days I had a lightbulb moment.  I could use several  biscuit coloured prints and a similar floral in the border so that I could still use the log cabin blocks instead of ditching them to start again with something else.





Then I worked out how many strips of the striped fabric I would need to go around the edge and worked out from the amount of fabric I had as to how wide I could cut the border. 

I really enjoyed finishing this quilt because it forced me to think outside the box several times and challenge myself.

The funny thing is that my tastes have changer so much in the last 8 years that I have given the top to a friend to finish because she loved it and the colours would be perfect in her bedroom.  Bye bye Feathered Star.Have a wonderful life with Cheryl.

I am now onto Number 3 WISP (Work In Slow Progress) and it will probably take me at least another 6 months to finish the top because there is lots of needleturn applique.  I started it in a class at Primarily Patchwork in October 1998.  All the appliques are prepared  so it is a perfect carry around project.

So, what's your oldest UFO and are you planning on ever finishing it?

Happy stitching from Therese.

No comments:

Post a Comment