Wednesday, December 15, 2010

When Good Ideas Go Bad

Why is it that some ideas sound fantastic at the time - but in reality do not meet your expectations?

I participate in a Kris Kringle each year at work.  My lucky recipient this year was going to receive a beautiful pincushion.  Not just any pincushion though - a circular one with a paper pieced pie on it. 

The fabrics were chosen with great care, the buttons were selected, I had all the ingredients necessary to finish the pincushion. 

So, I made the pie; I attached it to the background; I quilted the pie and the background; I cut the circles out; I sewed it together and then I snipped the edges so the seams would lie flat.  So far, so good!

I turned it out the right way and I thought it was ok.  Not fabulous, but ok.  Hmmm, maybe it will improve when I stuff it.  So, out came the stuffing, all was well in the world.  I had enough stuffing!  Stuff the cushion firmly.  Wow!  Dog's breakfast is all I can say.  The quilting was wonky, the edges didn't sit properly.  This was a disaster.  Why?  Well, in my certainty that this would be a huge success I was finishing it the day of the Kris Kringle dinner!  For those who know me, this is not unusual.

What was I going to do?  I had about two hours to prepare something else.  I made a rectangular pincushion with a 'pie' on it.  The most frustrating part - it was gorgeous.  Simple, elegant, lovely colour combination.  I didn't want to give it away but I had to.  So, Kris Kringle recipient - I hope you love it as much as I did.


All I have for show and tell is the unpicked pincushion.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment