Friday, April 6, 2012

Over Half Way

When I purchased my copy of the Dear Jane book 15 years ago I loved the quilt because I had seen a photo in a book called Enduring Grace and had already decided that I was going to make a quilt like that one day.  It took me about 5 years to collect suitable fabrics and to feel that I had the sewing skills to start.
I made myself start at A1 and do each block in the order they were printed in the book.  At times I wouldn't touch it for several months and then I would have a little sewing frenzy and get a few more blocks done. 


Then we started running a class at Patchwork Pumpkin once a month called The Jane Dears and I started to get serious. I actually joined two rows together. After that I set myself a goal of 4 blocks per month which I actually stuck to for all of 2011. Over the Christmas break I realised I was half way because I had finished Row G and G7 is the centre block. Since then I have finished two more rows plus some of the border triangles. 
 I am still on the journey but the destination is getting closer.  I am trying not to rush the process now just to get it finished but to savour stitching each block as I go.

I design mainly large quilts but inbetween I like to do some smaller projects too like the tablerunner in the next photo.  I started by wanting to play with some foundation string piecing and it just sort of grew from there. Everything in this tablerunner is leftovers from other projects even the batting which I had to join. The bias vine is black and was a bit stark so I did  a feather stitch along it to tone it down a bit.


It's a really great way to use those skinny left over bits of fabric that some of us find very hard to throw away. I blame my mother - she used to keep paper bags and bits of string.  It's a result of living through the depression and sometimes I think there are lessons we could learn from having to live that frugally.

 I wish everyone a Happy and Peaceful Easter Sunday tomorrow and hope you get to spend it with your loved ones and share a bit of chocolate with them.

Happy stitching from Therese.

P.S. I have finished a special Easter gift for my daughter and I will show photos next week.  I just hope she likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment